OTTAWA, ON, Nov. 22, 2022 /CNW/ – Canadian Affiliation of Colleges of Nursing (“CASN”) issued a press release right now asserting its Registered Nurses Training in Canada Statistics, 2020–2021 — Registered Nurse Workforce, Canadian Manufacturing: Potential New Provide, (“report”).
“CASN is happy to current its annual statistics report back to assist well being human useful resource planning in each the nursing service and nursing schooling sectors. It demonstrates the robust partnerships that exist amongst nationwide and provincial and territorial our bodies in addition to efficient collaborative relationships with a number of stakeholders,” mentioned Cynthia Baker, Government Director, CASN.
Highlights from the report embody the next:
- 12,780 college students graduated from entry-to-practice applications for registered nurses in 2021 (2,302 Quebec diploma and 10,478 baccalaureate) (graph, web page 6), representing a steady pattern upward from the 4,833 who graduated in 2000.
- 16,626 college students had been admitted to entry-to-practice applications for registered nurses in 2020-2021 (3,749 Quebec diploma and 12,877 baccalaureate) (graph, web page 5), 753 extra admissions than in 2019-2020.
- Statistics Canada reviews the variety of vacancies for skilled occupations in nursing (which incorporates “nursing coordinators and supervisors, registered nurses, registered psychiatric nurses, and graduate nurses”) in 2018-2019, previous to the COVID-19 pandemic, as 11,615 vacancies on common (This fall 2018-Q1 2020). From September 2020 to December 2021 (this survey’s information vary) Statistics Canada reviews, on common, 22,641 vacancies.
- There have been 616 graduates from nurse practitioner applications in 2021 (graph, web page 12).
- There have been 772 admissions to nurse practitioner applications in 2020-2021 (graph, web page 11).
- 35.4% of faculties supplied an accelerated baccalaureate program (desk, web page 13).
- In 2021, faculties had been unable to fill 52 full-time college positions. Colleges projected a necessity to rent 543 full-time college (340 everlasting positions, 103 contract positions) in 2022.
- 97 everlasting college retired in 2021.
“Though Canada’s well being care system is experiencing a essential nursing scarcity, the annual survey report reveals that faculties of nursing graduating courses are among the many highest ever recorded. The report additionally reveals that the variety of nursing college accessible to coach the following technology of nurses is shrinking as a result of retirements. Whereas the well being care system may have extra registered nurses as a result of the inhabitants is getting older and due to Covid-19, retention of the nursing workforce seems to be the important subject. Working circumstances have to be addressed to retain each new graduates and skilled nurses. Furthermore, faculties of nursing want assist if they’re to proceed to develop,” mentioned Cynthia Baker. “Governments should work with faculties of nursing to take a position strategically in high quality nursing schooling by funding, sources, and assist to make sure nursing graduates are clinically competent, emotionally resilient, and retainable.”
About Canadian Affiliation of Colleges of Nursing
The Canadian Affiliation of Colleges of Nursing (CASN) is the nationwide voice for nursing schooling, analysis, and scholarship and represents baccalaureate and graduate nursing applications throughout Canada. CASN’s mission is to steer nursing schooling and nursing scholarship within the curiosity of more healthy Canadians.
SOURCE Canadian Affiliation of Colleges of Nursing
For additional info: Canadian Affiliation of Colleges of Nursing, Phone: (613) 235-3150, Electronic mail: [email protected], Web site: www.casn.ca